Friday, July 13, 2018

Use Less Plastic

I had attended an Earth Day talk at my office sometime in April, and while I knew we were relying on plastic a lot more than we realised, I didn't know that the amount that was being wasted and its impact on Mother Earth is ridiculous!

The founder of Waterways Watch Singapore (WWS) came to give an opening talk about the use of plastic, and shared his experience on first-hand effects of plastic pollution in Singapore. Then we watched this movie called "A Plastic Ocean" and it was devastating.



So yesterday (I know, what took me so long right?), I made the decision to proactively use less plastic. I'd realised how much plastic was involved in my every day life and it was ridiculous! So I brought my own tumbler and lunchbox to work. I made my hot drinks directly in my tumbler, or passed it the barista to make it directly into my tumbler. I also asked the food seller to pack my food directly into my lunchbox, instead of using his plastic/styrofoam container. And at the end of the day, I was surprised by how much less rubbish/waste/plastic there was in my rubbish bin. And it made me feel so good!

It takes one person to make one change at a time before it slowly becomes a lifestyle. Yes, plastic is a convenience to a lot of people. But other than it being a convenience, it's also important that the manufacturers who create it take responsibility for it. Like these movements by LessPlasticUK and The Plastic Bank. I've seen their posts, watched their posts, read their content and I'm extremely inspired.

Here is a video by The Plastic Bank that you can watch:


So do your part to make a change in the world today. Be kind to Mother Earth - she gives us so much already, and it's time we give back.

Till the next time...